Sunday, September 11, 2016

Inspiration: Dirty Fingernails

Came across this quote last night in John Foster's Dirty Fingernails: A One-of-a-kind Collection of Graphics Uniquely Designed by Hand
"The computer is a wonderful tool, but it is only that: a tool. Your brain is what your clients are truly paying for and what offers unique qualities found nowhere else. Our hands are the extension of our minds that brings our ideas to fruition."
That's such a great quote that I now feel a little bad that I'm going to critique Foster's use of his new media tools!

Click on the graphic below to visit Foster's blog post about Dirty Fingernails. This is the only post on his blog about the book. That's it: One post. No sample pages, no insights on how the book came to be, nothing really. Color me disappointed.

Too bad Austin Kleon hadn't yet written Show Your Work. Foster could have benefitted from Kleon's advice such as: "share something small every day, open up your cabinet of curiousities, and tell good stories."

Lest you think that Foster is a shrinking violet and a man of few words check out this long review of an album by Grizzly Bear (and don't miss Foster's reactions to the comments!).

1 comment:

  1. I truly believe and agree with this quote. Often times when I am at a wedding consultation, I have to explain and educate my clients a little bit about photography in both an artistic and business aspect. I emphasize that it's not about the equipment I use, it's about my vision and creativity that I bring to their wedding day or portrait session.

    ReplyDelete