Thursday, October 6, 2016


How a Director breaks down a script
by Michael Sandknop









On Directing
by Harold Clurman

ISBN-13:9780684826226
Publisher:Touchstone


Available on Amazon: $14.52





"What's my motivation?"
This side answers that question for the actors.
Think of it as a "Story Board" for performance.


In my previous post I discussed the example of "Karate Kid"
Here's how the Director starts out.




Here are two videos that illustrate two different "Director's Idea" with the same plot line:
"A little boy want's something from his parent."










Here is an example of my notes for an upcoming
music video I'm Directing.
 It's  is a parody of Madonna's "Material Girl" rewritten
as "Clinton Felonious Girl."

Left side are the storyboards
Right side are the overhead views


As a Parody, while similar in style
the TONE is completely different,
and so is the "Director's Idea"
This is a "mock-up" of how I want the actor's to deliver their performance
which leads to how the audience reacts.

Again this is a mock-up on how it all comes together.
In the case of "Clinton Felonious Girl" I've broken it down each page to 30 seconds.
The song is 4 minutes long, so I have 8 pages.


Here is the original music video of Madonna's "Material Girl"


No comments:

Post a Comment